|Job Title and WTE||Speech and Language Therapy Manager – 0.5 WTE 19.5 hours per week|
|Reporting Relationship:||Occupational Therapy Manager.|
|Location of Post||
The Royal Hospital Donnybrook
Morehampton Road | Dublin 4| D04HX40
|Informal Enquiries||Sharon Lawlor, Human Resources Manager
email: [email protected] Tel: 01 406 6632
Jo Cannon Occupational Therapy Manager
email: [email protected] Tel: 01 406 6670
The Royal Hospital Donnybrook Speech and Language Therapy Department provide a service to hospital in-patient’s undergoing rehabilitation and our residents within our Residential Care Units. In addition, an outpatient day hospital service provides Speech and Language Therapy to patients.
The clinical specialities are within the hospital are:
· Care of the Elderly
· Orthogeriatric Rehabilitation
· Stroke Rehabilitation
· Neuro Disability
· Residential Care
The Speech and Language Therapy Department currently consists of:
· 0.5 wte Speech and Language Therapy Manager
· 0.8 wte Senior Speech and Language Therapist
· 2.0 wte Basic Grades Speech and Language Therapists
· 0.5 wte post – on hold at present due to service restrictions
|Purpose of the Post:||
The Speech and Language Therapy Manager is a new position within the Hospital. The SALT Manager will be responsible for the planning, co-ordination and delivery of the SALT service on a daily basis in accordance with hospital policies and procedures. The SALT Manager will be accountable to the Chief Executive Officer of The Royal Hospital Donnybrook
The SALT Manager will be responsible for providing strong leadership and being a proactive member of the Hospital Management Team working towards the achievement of the hospitals strategic goals.
The SALT Manager will be responsible for the line management of all SALT staff including the management of HR issues, professional development and ensuring a high quality of service to all areas of the hospital.
The SALT Manager will maintain clinical skills / work and assist in the management of complex cases.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Lead by example, a professional, punctual and dedicated team with open communication and healthy working relationships.
· Carry a clinical caseload as required and support staff in managing complex clinical cases.
· Liaise with RHD Medical Director, Heads of Departments, Director of Nursing and Hospital Managers ensuring collaborative working throughout the hospital.
· Collaborate with relevant personnel to produce the operational plans for SALT service in line with service plans under the direction of the Chief Executive Officer.
· Ensure the SALT department is compliant with and working with the scope of CORU Registration.
· To take a lead role in ensure the development of Quality Improvement Initiatives within the SALT Department.
· Attend and contribute to The RHD Hospitals Clinical Governance Steering Group, Incident Meetings, Hospital Management Team Meeting and Board Meeting as requested.
· Monitor and review the operational functioning of SALT service maximising quality of care and efficiency within the service.
· Record, analyse and evaluate Key Performance Indicators such as activity levels, service trends, work practices etc. and submit findings to the CEO for service planning and development.
· Provide an Annual Report for the SALT Department and present on a regular basis The Royal Hospital Donnybrook Board any developments with the SALT service.
Human Resources Management:
· Oversee the professional development of all SALT staff through supervision in adherence of CORU Guidelines.
· Ensure the streamlined rotation of SALT staff throughout all the clinical areas of the Hospital ensuring adequate service provision and professional development opportunities.
· Ensure all staff work in adherence to National Standards e.g. HIQA, Safeguarding, CORU and IASLT.
· Manage local service and personnel issues and collaborate with Human Resources department as required.
· Ensure all staff, new and rotational, are inducted into their assigned clinical areas.
· Keep staff abreast of all changes/ developments within assigned areas and in the wider local health area / hospital context.
· To be responsible for the recruitment, selection and interview process of new SALT staff.
· To be responsible for the management of any disciplinary and grievance issues with SALT staff in collaboration with the HR department as required.
· To have an excellent knowledge base of the scope of SALT and be able to demonstrate working with evidence based practice to a high level.
· Have an extensive experience and knowledge of working with frail older people /complex neurological conditions in a rehabilitation hospital setting relevant to SALT.
· Demonstrate knowledge and experience of the Strategic Vision and the Strategic Plans of The Royal Hospital Donnybrook.
· Demonstrate knowledge of legislative requirements relating to the healthcare services and the workplace e.g. HIQA, CORU, Safeguarding, Health and Safety etc.
· Demonstrate skills and knowledge in Healthcare Management and the management of people.
· Demonstrate commitment to continuous professional development and the sharing of knowledge and skills within the SALT Department.
· Demonstrate knowledge and experience of Clinical Risk Management and the processes involved in managing risk.
· Demonstrate high level abilities in time management and the efficient use of resources.
Leadership and Staff Management:
· Demonstrate leadership skills and the ability to influence others.
· Demonstrate the ability to plan, organise and deliver services in an efficient, effective and resourceful manner, within a model of patient centred care and value for money.
· Demonstrate flexibility and openness to change and ability to lead and support others in a changing environment.
· Demonstrate the ability to manage, motivate and develop staff to maximise performance at work.
· Be responsible for the management of complaints by patient, residents and family members. To work collaboratively with Hospital Complaints Manager in the preparation of reports and attending meetings with relevant people to manage the complaint process in line with HSE and Hospital Policy.
Team Working Skills:
· Demonstrate ability to work effectively with multi-disciplinary teams and as a member of the Hospital Management Team.
· Demonstrate the ability to foster a learning culture amongst staff and colleagues to drive continuous improvement in services to patients.
· Demonstrate the ability to effectively manage conflict and bring grievance and disciplinary issues with staff to a successful resolution.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills:
· Demonstrate high level effective communication and interpersonal skills including: the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner; the ability to engage collaboratively with all stakeholders; the ability to give constructive feedback.
· Demonstrate competency in the use information technology – computers, office functions, internet for research purposes, email, and preparation of presentation materials and to be aware of issues relating to Data Protection (GDPR) and Freedom of Information (FOI).
A candidate for and any person holding the office must be fully competent and capable of undertaking the duties attached to the office and be in a state of health such as would indicate a reasonable prospect of ability to render regular and efficient service.
Each candidate for and any person holding the office must be of good character.
The above Job Description is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all duties involved and consequently, the post holder may be required to perform other duties as appropriate to the post which may be assigned to him/her from time to time and to contribute to the development of the post while in office.