|Job Title and WTE||Podiatrist – 0.5 WTE – 19.5 hours per week|
|Reporting Relationship:||Occupational Therapy Manager.|
|Location of Post||
The Royal Hospital Donnybrook
Morehampton Road | Dublin 4| D04HX40
|Informal Enquiries||Sharon Lawlor, Human Resources Manager
email: [email protected] Tel: 01 406 6632
Jo Cannon Occupational Therapy Manager
email: [email protected] Tel: 01 406 6670
The post holder will work in The Royal Hospital Donnybrook providing a podiatry service for patients / residents who require assessment and intervention. The post holder will take responsibility for the assessment and treatment of a caseload of patients and residents which includes complex cases. The post holder will require excellent communication skills to liaise with appropriate members of the Multi-Disciplinary Team and the Clinical Nurse Managers.
• BSC (Hons) in Podiatry of the National University of Ireland Galway Or Hold an equivalent qualification.
· Experience of working with older adults.
· Experience of working in a hospital setting
· Experience of wound management
· Experience of working with patient with diabetes
Duties and Responsibilities:
· To assess, diagnose, develop and implement individualised care plans for patients with a wide variety of clinical needs, including acute or chronic neuropathies, chronic diseases and vascular problems.
· The post holder will be expected to manage their own caseload, which will include providing care for patients with diabetes who require care and wound management.
· To work as part of a multi-disciplinary team, liaising with appropriate members of staff throughout the hospital and liaison with community podiatrist as required.
· To be responsible for planning, managing and implementation of their own case load.
· To maintain the highest possible professional standards in line with Hospital policies; identifying improvements where necessary.
· To be responsible for the day to day monitoring and maintenance of clinical standards including equipment, supplies and health and safety; liaising with MDT staff and Line Manager as appropriate.
· To provide statistical information on caseload and clinical v non clinical intervention.
· Prepare, store and maintain records / data as required by Hospital Policy.
· Be aware of the implications of the Freedom of Information legislation.
· Notify the line manager of annual leave in advance and sick leave, as soon as possible in accordance with Hospital policy.
Professional / Clinical
· To have individual responsibility for the assessment, treatment planning, implementation and evaluation of podiatry patients including high risk patients such as patients with diabetes; vascular disease; chronic neuropathy; chronic disease, terminally ill patients and other complex medical health care needs.
· To take responsibility for the assessment of new admission to residential and rehabilitation beds with the subsequent production of individual care packages and appropriate provision of foot care education advice.
· Ensure the optimum quality of treatment is provided and adhere to CORU Standards at all times.
· Maintenance of comprehensive notes of patient’s periodic reviews and treatments in accordance with the Hospital protocol and Healthcare Record process.
· Have a knowledge of tissue viability, debridement skills and experience in treating chronic diabetes foot ulceration.
· The ability to detect signs of infection, determine level of infection, referral for imaging investigations and antibiotic therapy if necessary, and ability to effectively carry out investigations such as wound swabs.
· Knowledge of dermatological conditions associated with diabetes.
· Escalate any complex foot health ulcerations to the Medical Director and Tissue Viability Nurse.
· Infection Control – to understand and carry out standard precautions.
· To be aware of and comply with all HSE guidance on the management of patient’s with confirmed / suspected Covid 19 and strictly adhere to all PPE Guidance.
· To actively updates CPD activities in line with CORU Standards.
· To constantly maintain and upgrade clinical skills, especially in specialist areas of diabetes and wound management.
· To take part in clinical governance initiatives within the Hospital such as Quality Improvement and Clinical Audit.
· To ensure that any complaints are dealt with in a timely manner and where appropriate pass onto Line Manager.