The Day Hospital provides a local, accessible service that aims to promote patient’s independence, health and well-being through the provision of multi-disciplinary day care services to people aged over 65 years old residing in their own homes. All interventions are provided on a day basis (i.e., no in-patient or overnight stays). This is undertaken by a multi-disciplinarily team consisting of medical and allied health professionals committed to rehabilitation, health education, and empowerment of the service users.
The Day Hospital provides an essential support network for patients and their families/care givers following a hospital inpatient stay.
- Referrals to the Day Hospital are accepted through Consultant Physicians in Geriatric Medicine associated with St Vincent’s University Hospital (SVUH), St Michael’s Hospital Dun Laoghaire (SMH), and Royal Hospital Donnybrook.
- Referrals should be made using the Day Hospital Referral Form. A GP letter with appropriate rehab goals, sanctioned by a consultant, is currently being accepted also. All patients referred to the Day Hospital should be 65 years of age or over.
- The Day Hospital service currently caters for patients normally resident in the Dublin Mid Leinster HSE area.
- The patient will have the potential to benefit from the rehabilitation services and facilities in RHD. Therapy input to patients is provided on the basis of the assessed need of patients and staff resources available.
- Referrals to the Day hospital must need the input of a minimum of two disciplines.
- Patients may receive differing levels of therapy input in accordance with their identified needs
Criteria for Suitable Referrals:
Patients who would benefit from the services within the Day Hospital are those who:
- Are clinically stable with low risk of immediate deterioration or complications.
- Have stable affect, low risk of becoming agitated, uncooperative, or wandering.
- Have the cognitive ability to participate in their therapeutic programme.
- Are not, or unlikely to have need of high intensity nursing care or supervision.
- Have been made aware of, and agree to, the Day Hospital care pathway ( i.e. attend once weekly for 4-6 weeks as required, attend for the hours of opening between 10am and 3pm) and likely timeframe of attendance recommended.
- New patient’s assessment from 09:30hrs till 13:30hrs every Monday and Tuesday.
- Once-off assessments from inpatient care to assess /monitor following discharge home.
The Day Hospital facilitates up to 25 clients per day.
Further enquiries can be made to the Admissions Department at 01 4066 742 or [email protected]